Last week I went upstairs to the South Dining Hall to eat dinner and I encountered a very nice lady who I had a great conversation with. Carol, who worked the sandwich station in the buffet style cafeteria, was a very nice and kind lady. Carol and I talked about our families and many other things. Carol had a big family and a very loving family it sounded like. I told her about my family and how my sister lives in California. She was surprised to hear that my family lives in New Jersey and my sister is all the way on the west coast.
I showed Carol a picture of my sisters dog, Sadie, and we got into another conversation about pets and how I had none when I was growing up and she had a loving dog whom she will never forget. Carol and I gave each other much feedback which helped us both go along with the conversation. Carol and I also were bonding in our conversation, although it was not in a romantic way. Carol and I now know each others name and I will always go up to her station to simply say hello to her and to see how her day is going.
Matt -- what have we studied (sociological/psychological rules) in any of the chapters (interpersonal, language, non-verbal) that might help you analyze this from a communication perspective?
ReplyDelete